Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Story No. 2: Here Goes… Johnny

            By the time he reaches two, Johnny becomes active and well… more talkative. He labeled everything he saw. “Mommy, that is a car… that is my milk… this is my nose…” and so many this and that and those and these.
            Honestly, I find him sometimes irritating especially when I have just arrived from home from the office. Raising a child that is in his formative years could really be a challenge to parents. It requires real patience, empathy and determination. Since Johnny could now talk, he tells me and her Daddy all that he wants to say — with sense or without,  requesting all she needs to have and all that just want to have. We just need to listen, address to his needs and restrict if we find that his requests aren’t practical. I think this is somewhat related to discipline.
            However, since my mind set is not the same as his’, it got to the point where I almost shouted at him at the telephone. I was asking him if he had eaten breakfast and if his nanny already gave him milk. She was not answering. In my mind was a question, “Why is this boy so noisy at home but couldn’t speak of any at the phone?” I repeated and repeated the question, I made it even louder but still, I got none.
            When I arrived home, I heard Johnny was talking to his Daddy. “Daddy, why did Mommy shout at me? Didn’t she know that I was nodding…? I was saying yes…” I forgot that Johnny is not yet capable of putting himself in my shoe, or even in his Daddy’s. He’s still young.
            As years go by, I know Johnny is full of potentials. It is such a blessing to be entrusted by God such treasure. I couldn’t wait to see a responsible and fine adult out of my Johnny. “What kind of a man would he be? Will he be like his Daddy…?”

No comments:

Post a Comment